Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Icons Loop

  My grandfather was the first one in my family to start working in the concrete world. He started at a company called Nelson & Sloan, they work with transit mixed concrete and sand/crushed rock materials. Then my grandfather started up Coffman Specialties or for short it is called (CSI). When my Uncle Kevin saw my grandfathers company he decided to come and work for him. He started at the bottom of the chain but work his way up to the top. Today at this company there are more then just Coffman, there is asphalt called Sim J Harris, Electric called Empower, and lastly trucking called DT Trucking. I started working for Coffman in 2001 doing little thing around the office. Then when I got older I started working for D & H which is now DT Trucking. My pay started at $5.00 an hour and now it is $8.50 an hour not much but it will do. DT Trucking is the first letter of my first name and the first letter of my cousins name. 

  He is an icon to me because he is showing me the difficulties there are in being a leader like him. I want to show his kids and mine all that he taught me. He inspired me and a lot of other people to aim for success and grow in life. He also inspired himself to respect others and trust others at difficult times. When I get older I want to be a concrete worker or something in that field and put those skills to good use. I want them to respect me like he did and not look at the negative things but look at the positive things in life. That reminds me everyday that even though you are the bosses son or daughter, that you cant always be on top, you have to work hard and earn their trust, respect and put forth effort at your job. He works 16 hours a day and five days a week. He is a hard worker that works a lot of hours. My Uncle Kevin is an icon to me because he leads by example and is someone to look up to.


1) I chose this opening because it was a way to give my reader a little bit information about My Uncle and I and how we started these jobs. In my closing I just want to say that if you respect everyone then they will respect you. 

2) My closing in my icon statement shows that Kevin has everything you want in a boss and in an employee. I showed you why he is my icon.

3) I hope that my readers can relate to this special person in my life with some one in their life. I am showing my true feelings about this person and they would want to know more ka huna (which means the secret in Hawaiian)of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment