Tuesday, April 19, 2011

#10

My Grandma's grandfather was sent to war while establishing a family. He voluntarily joined in the military and was sent to Iwo Jima. He was only there for a few years but these years affected him greatly. His family didnt have a lot of money and so his wife and two young kids had to live with her mother and father. When he came back he suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and often retold the story of a Japanese man he had killed. After he killed the soldier my great grandpa took his flag off of his uniform as a token of his victory. He made his kids ( my aunts and uncles) take the soldiers flag to school until it was worn thin. They were very proud of their dad. This story was past down from generations and it will continue to be told for many to come.
My grandma told me that my great grandfather was one of the soldiers lifting up the flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment